[H-GEN] Apache mod_ssl errors

Michael Anthon michael at anthon.net
Tue Aug 19 09:50:39 EDT 2003

I'm getting a lot[1] of SSL errors in my apache mod_ssl setup.  The one
I am most concerned about is this...

> [Tue Aug 19 23:06:38 2003] [error] mod_ssl: SSL handshake failed (server tams.com.au:443, client 211.28.156.140) (System and OpenSSL library errors follow)
> [Tue Aug 19 23:06:38 2003] [error] System: No such file or directory (errno: 2)
> [Tue Aug 19 23:06:38 2003] [error] OpenSSL: error:140943FC:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad record mac

Google hasn't been particularly helpful in sorting this out and I was
wondering if anyone had seen a similar error and might know the cause.
 From the client side you simply see a communications error of some sort
(exact error depends on browser) and I'm unable to find anything in
particular that triggers the message.  I most often notice it when I
have an auto-refresh status page open.  It will be running quite happily
for ages and then will fail to retrieve a page and throw up an error
dialog.  Admittedly I generally only use Opera myself but there is
plenty of these message being generated by other users, most of who use IE.

Server is
> Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.2.3 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/
> 0.9.7b ApacheJServ/1.1.2

Cheers,
Michael

[1]  300 or so in the last couple of months and a lot more regularly
lately as the traffic has gone up somewhat