[H-GEN] Help! Is there any advice on recovering deleted files?

Shane Ravenn sravenn at optusnet.com.au
Mon Aug 18 13:02:33 EDT 2003

Greetings all.

I have had a slightly annoying run-in with an badly planned 'rm' incident. I was
hoping that there would be someone able to help.

I was trying to remove a file from within ROX-Filer (a graphical file utility),
and I entered in a shell command as the standard delete wasn't working. The
directory was refusing to budge, so I added a '-f'.

Turns out it took the command to mean the entire partition, with the result
being I lost 18GB+ of data. If I am merely chasing a lost cause here, I can
accept my losses with only a slight whimper and shameful ducking of head.

Some of that was VMWare images, as well as several GB of .iso's or other large
files ready to burn, totalling around 11GB. Fortunately, I had just spent some
time burning distros, which is where I was trying to delete the no-longer-needed
file.

Several GB was small images, ascii text, TAFE stuff, etc. These items I will
miss.

I have tried recover, gtkrecover, e2undel. I also looked at the filesystem with
lde, but I have no idea where to start in reading hex. This is a Debian unstable
laptop.

TIA
Shane Ravenn

--
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
 - Chinese proverb