[H-GEN] HUMBUG meetings and talks

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Aug 18 23:55:04 EDT 2003

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Ben Fowler wrote:

> [Please excuse me while I reply to about three different posts...]
>
> I have to agree with Clinton here.  At this time (as Clinton and Ray
> have pointed out), we're operating under the good graces of the people
> at ITS so it appears as though little will be happening in the way on
> getting extra room bookings, either concurrent with the Saturday HUMBUG
> meetings or otherwise.

I do find this a bit surprising.  Over the years we've booked a 2nd room
many times.  At one stage (quite recently) there was an automatic booking
for a 2nd room at every other meeting.  I'm assuming here that relations
to UQ are as good as they ever were.

> Additionally, I think that moving to a split HUMBUG model (separate
> meetings; tightly-organised weekday talk meetings, loosely-organised
> 'hackfest' weekend meetings) would require a lot of effort to organise.

Most definately.

> Will existing members necessarily embrace this and make it work? Will

Without them it can't work.  Perhaps if more members got behind the
current talks structure it would provide proof that a more ambitious plan
could be undertaken.

> I think the 'Tobi' talk model worked well.  Provided that the attendees
> do their bit to make it work, I think we should stick with it.

Care to enlighten us what this model was?  I would have come but there was
a large continent and a larger ocean in the way :)

Btw, we haven't heard from Jason B-P lately.  I hope he didn't fare worse
in the big blackout than I did, as that was bad enough :)

> [1] Well, there are at least a few serious options for people interested
> in making a 'serious' meeting format work:

Personally I like the current meeting format.  It's relaxed and it's fun.
People come to hang out as well as to get stuff done.

> 3) Or, we can get a small bunch of highly-motivated people together, and
> work out how to work a parallel set of 'serious format' meetings into
> the club.  I think this might work, provided it's planned and promoted
> properly.  What do people think?

I think this is really where the discussion has been going but I maintain
that fresh faces have to appear to pickup the extra load.  In a volunteer
club no one can expect anything like this to happen unless they are
prepared to roll up their sleeves to help.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net