[H-GEN] Why no keyboard with NO Window Manager ?

Mark Corben mcorben at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 29 09:21:39 EDT 2003

Thanks very much all for suggestions.

I had a play with twm and it may be the best compromise. I wittled down
the menu item list to only have
        - Web Browser
        - Exit
I also needed to change the titlebar icons to use f.fullzoom. The window
manager starts up Phoenix only and therefore the user only has access to
this application.
If the user exits Phoenix then they are left with the desk top and the
menu (perhaps only after frustrated clicking!) to exit.
I'd still prefer to be able to exit the session by only exiting Phoenix
(or some browser)

Ben as regards

>In your case it sounds to me like X has given focus to something else
>(whatever that may be). I'm not sure of the exact policy here. I would
>guess that the first window to open would be the one that X would give
>focus, then some other policy would occur if that window ever closed.

Yes i agree although I thought that the focus was on this window as I
could select other menu items - just couldn't type!
I guess it still comes down to this ?

>The
>important thing is that without a window-manager there's noone to decide
>who gets keyboard focus when you really don't want that window to have it.

If this was the case .....

>This means that generally you don't want to run without a window
>manager unless you know that there will only ever be one window open, and
>that the app behind it will never ever try to open any kind of dialogue
>window :)

then is there any other way to set up the keyboard focus - or only
through a window manager ??

Thanks

MArk