[H-GEN] Debian install floppy boot problem

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Apr 22 12:41:44 EDT 2003

Anthony Towns <aj at azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:46:20AM -0400, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
> > > This one is far from plain text.  It uses colours, pretty boxes
> > > around stuff with frames that end up in weird places, etc., etc.
> > Sounds like a standard Debian installer to me, which does use a
> > curses-like thing called dialog(1).
> This isn't quite accurate, btw -- the installer itself is hand written
> slang/ncurses stuff (I forget which; it's in C). The debconf questions later
> generally use dialog though.

Damn.  (Though it's worth pointing out you can get away from having to
use the debconf dialog interface if that's your desire.)

> > I don't know
> > how useful that'll be though, since you have no compiler and so on
> > until the installation is complete, which requires a reboot.
> It doesn't strictly require a reboot; you can chroot, and probably pivot
> root quite happily. You have a fully POSIX sh and wget clone though.

I thought of chrooting but that's not always terribly successful
(judging by my experience with any number of chroot build environments
I have tried to set up over the years) and I've never done a pivot.

Good corrections both.

jason
--
``I didn't program you for sarcasm.''