[H-GEN] Debian install floppy boot problem

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Apr 22 07:20:06 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 02:46:20AM -0400, Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:
> > This one is far from plain text.  It uses colours, pretty boxes
> > around stuff with frames that end up in weird places, etc., etc.
> Sounds like a standard Debian installer to me, which does use a
> curses-like thing called dialog(1).

This isn't quite accurate, btw -- the installer itself is hand written
slang/ncurses stuff (I forget which; it's in C). The debconf questions later
generally use dialog though.

> One other thing that occurs to me---if you flip to other virtual
> terminals while the installer is running you can get to a shell
> which will let you mess about to your heart's content.  I don't know
> how useful that'll be though, since you have no compiler and so on
> until the installation is complete, which requires a reboot.

It doesn't strictly require a reboot; you can chroot, and probably pivot
root quite happily. You have a fully POSIX sh and wget clone though.

Cheers,
aj

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''