[H-GEN] Script for Arson?

Paul Gearon pag at PISoftware.com
Wed Apr 23 23:10:27 EDT 2003

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Three Blokes wrote:

>              I have been trying to work this out, with no such luck so far,
> I need to run Arson with root privledges because under a normal login it
> doesnt detect my cdrom(Something about no access to SCSI)

As Sandra already mentioned, the correct solution is to give yourself
permission to read the scsi device.  This is normally done by adding
yourself to the group for the device and making it group accessible.

> is there a shell script I can write to do this?, I tried using su but it
> doesnt seem to allow you to login with a password from the script, I
> realise it's a bad idea having the root password in a plain text file
> but what other option do I have?

You definately NEVER want this!  It's a really bad idea!  :-)

In such a situation just create yourself a root-owned script with all the
"write" permission bits turned off, and the setuid bit turned on.  When
the script is run the process will have root permissions.

Regards,
Paul Gearon

Software Engineer                Telephone:   +61 7 3876 2188
Plugged In Software              Fax:         +61 7 3876 4899
http://www.PIsoftware.com        PGP Key available via finger

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
(Translation from latin: "I have a catapult. Give me all the money,
or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.")