[H-GEN] Smoothwall dialling problem

Ewan Edwards Edwards_Ewan_B at cat.com
Tue Apr 15 20:09:04 EDT 2003

Hilton

> > Fixes 1, 2, and 3 for Smoothwall GPL 1.0 have since been applied in the
> > hope that may clear the problem.
>
> Nope, they don't.

So we found out.  :-(

> > I've not yet had a chance to have a look at this myself, so I was
> > wondering if this sort of problem has been seen before or if anyone can
> > suggest where to start looking to fix.
>
> I have reported this to Lawrence (bugs at smoothwall.org or
> submissions at smoothwall.org - whichever is currently active) as have a
> few others.  I'd suggest that you also report it to him.

Shall do.

> > If it comes to the crunch, I'll take a spare cdrom drive and a copy of
> > GPL 1.0 around to do a new install.  (GPL 2.0 is still in beta is it
> > not?)
>
> GPL 1.0 (from scratch) has the same issue as does a GPL 0.9.9 post
> fixes18 installation.

Oohh phooey!  :-(

> Yes, GPL 2.0 is still in Beta (B4, to be precise) and AFAIK it also
> suffers from the same issue.  I have also reported this.

Phooey again.  ;-)

Looks like I'm left with 3 options.
1. Put up with having to reboot the firewall regularly until (if?) a fix is
developed and applied.
2. Rebuild the firewall with Smoothwall 0.9.9SE and apply all fixes up to, but
not including, fixes 18.
3. Find another similarly easy-to-use home firewall solution.