[H-GEN] Smoothwall dialling problem

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Tue Apr 15 06:06:38 EDT 2003

Hi Ewan,

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 15:47, Ewan Edwards wrote:

> Ever since applying fixes 19, 20, and 21[1] a friends Smoothwall 0.9.9SE has
> had this strange problem trying to dial the ISP.  After rebooting the
> Smoothwall the first attempt to connect to the internet works exactly as
> expected, and so does the disconnect.
>
> The second attempt to connect also works as expected, but the disconnect
> doesn't work as expected.  The second disconnect does actually result in the
> modem disconnecting, but the Smoothwall management interface shows it as
> still connected.  Any further attempt to connect or disconnect has no visible
> result.  If the Smoothwall is rebooted at this point, the next connect
> attempt works as expected.

I have seen this issue, and just 2 minutes ago got off the phone to a
mate who is seeing the same behavior.

> Fixes 1, 2, and 3 for Smoothwall GPL 1.0 have since been applied in the hope
> that may clear the problem.

Nope, they don't.

> I've not yet had a chance to have a look at this myself, so I was wondering if
> this sort of problem has been seen before or if anyone can suggest where to
> start looking to fix.

I have reported this to Lawrence (bugs at smoothwall.org or
submissions at smoothwall.org - whichever is currently active) as have a
few others.  I'd suggest that you also report it to him.

> If it comes to the crunch, I'll take a spare cdrom drive and a copy of GPL 1.0
> around to do a new install.  (GPL 2.0 is still in beta is it not?)

GPL 1.0 (from scratch) has the same issue as does a GPL 0.9.9 post
fixes18 installation.

Yes, GPL 2.0 is still in Beta (B4, to be precise) and AFAIK it also
suffers from the same issue.  I have also reported this.

> [1] All previous fixes were applied progressively as they were released.

Always a good thing!  :)

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis                   Email: Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Manager                         Phone: +61-(0)7-3343-3889
Quark AudioVisual               Phone: +61-(0)419-792-394
Quark Computers
(Brisbane, Australia)            http://www.QuarkAV.com/