[H-GEN] which Redhat?

Robert Kearey mammal at optushome.com.au
Tue Apr 8 19:48:31 EDT 2003

Peter Arnold wrote:

> So what happened to RH 8.1 etc? I was sitting back and waiting for the
> "mature" version of 8 when they seemed to have moved on to version 9....Sigh...

The whole dot-zero-is-evil thing is fairly irrational, as far as I'm
concerned. I still run 7.0 servers that work just fine (but not for much
longer, they'll be moving over to RHEL AS soonish).

There was no 8.1. Red Hat moved to 9 on the basis that NPTL causes a lot
of broken apps to die ingloriously, so a bump in version was considered
prudent. The rest of the distribution has undergone some incremental and
evolutionary change. There's a rather good technical review of RHL 9 here:

http://www.gurulabs.com/RedHatLinux9-review.html

There'll be no further dot-foo releases - cardinal numbers rule from now
on for the non-RHEL line of product.

> Should I wait till version 9 matures? Is 8.0 mature and stable?

9 is fine. 8.0 is fine. Take your pick (I'd take 9).

--
Rob K - Ich mag Chips mit brauner Soße
http://members.optushome.com.au/mammal