[H-GEN] Sun PC Netlink

Scott Pullen spullen at optusnet.com.au
Wed Apr 2 06:08:58 EST 2003

Well for those that are interested ... it seems that I was approaching the
PC NetLink issue from the wrong angle.  It is not a Unix program running as
a Windows interface (e.g.Samba).  It is a Windows interface running on a
Unix box.  Doesn't seem to be a lot in that but I am sure that you are all
aware of the differences in philosophy between the two platforms.  As soon
as I accepted this fact and approached NetLink as a Windows program things
got a whole lot easier.  A quick reference to the Windows 2000 Server
Unleashed book on my shelves shone a ray of light onto the proceedings.

NetLink is certainly cut down in it's functionality (you can only define one
script to run at startup, and call others from there) but works almost the
same.  So, if you want to administer a Sun box running Solaris 8 using PC
NetLink then I suggest you become a pseudo MS Admin (I feel so dirty).  Now
that I am tainted, does anyone know a good net reference to Windows batch
files.  I never really appreciated the power of Unix scripting until I tried
to read the contents of a file to see if the passed parameter existed in it,
we are sooo fortunate.

If you run into problems with PC Netlink then drop me a line.  I may be able
to help :~)

Cheers,

Scott.