[H-GEN] optus at home cable setup troubles

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 26 04:17:04 EDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 12:32:37PM +1000, Johann Kwiatkowski wrote:

>            I'm trying to set up a linux box for optus at home cable
> connection, using a stock redhat 7.3 box. As far as I am aware from
> reading several websites, all that I need to do is set the interface
> (eth1 in this case) to dhcp at boot up. This is not working for me. I've
> also tried ifdown eth1 follwoed by /sbin/dhcpcd -d eth1 at the command
> line, but it just times out. the connection was also tested initially
> with a windows box and worked and the modem was reset when changing to
> the linux box. I've also tried switching cables. It seems something
> simple is missing, but I don't know what. Any help would be appreciated,

We use dhcp-client on our optus @ home box, which runs debian 3.0. You
configure your dhcp-client.conf (that is prolly not the right file but I
set it up ages ago and haven't needed to change it) with the connection
name that Optus gave you. something like C00445583 (I pulled that out of
my head)

If you'd like a working conf file, email me off list and I'll send you
mine (slightly modified of course).

Sandra.