[H-GEN] Any limits on concurrent disk shares in Samba ?

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 24 23:58:57 EDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:26:38 +1000 "Andrew Bennett" <a.bennett at library.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> Normally I just lurk on the lists but I am hoping that someone with more Samba
> experience than I (not hard to do!) can give me some feedback.
> We are currently using Netware 5 on 2 servers to handle file/print services for approx
> 1000 workstations accessible by the general public and students. This has served us
> extremely well for a number of years.
> If anyone out there is doing something similar but using Samba, would they care to
> comment on their experiences using Samba to provide disk shares concurrently to a
> large number of workstations (1000+) ?
> I am concerned that there might be limitations or problems providing this many
> shares from one server, no matter how much RAM and CPU power we stick into it.
> Would we be better setting up some kind of server farm to handle the connections ?
> It has also been suggested to me that we try (gasp) NT or 2000 cluster with a stack
> of disk.
> I'd be very interested to hear peoples comments or other suggested solutions.

Hi Andrew - long time no see!

According to some resources I found, sizing should be per

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/appb_03.html

and it's kinda similar to sizing for nfs.

Incidentally, there is a suncluster3 agent for HA-samba if you're interested.

cheers,
James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW