[H-GEN] Any limits on concurrent disk shares in Samba ?

Andrew Bennett a.bennett at library.uq.edu.au
Tue Sep 24 21:26:38 EDT 2002

Hi Folks,

Normally I just lurk on the lists but I am hoping that someone with more Samba
experience than I (not hard to do!) can give me some feedback.

We are currently using Netware 5 on 2 servers to handle file/print services for approx
1000 workstations accessible by the general public and students. This has served us
extremely well for a number of years.

If anyone out there is doing something similar but using Samba, would they care to
comment on their experiences using Samba to provide disk shares concurrently to a
large number of workstations (1000+) ?

I am concerned that there might be limitations or problems providing this many
shares from one server, no matter how much RAM and CPU power we stick into it.

Would we be better setting up some kind of server farm to handle the connections ?

It has also been suggested to me that we try (gasp) NT or 2000 cluster with a stack
of disk.

I'd be very interested to hear peoples comments or other suggested solutions.

Cheers,
Andrew

Permission is given to reproduce this email in part or in whole.
Andrew Bennett
Exec. Manager, Library Technology Service
The University of Queensland Library (Australia)
St Lucia. Qld. 4072

Tel: +61-7-33656722 / Fax: +61-7-33657930