[H-GEN] Problem copying files to a Wondoze NT server.

James C. McPherson James.McPherson at Sun.COM
Tue Sep 17 01:10:47 EDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:52:40 +1000 Ewan Edwards <Ewan.Edwards at mincom.com> wrote:
> I've been having this problem copying large files to a Wondoze NT4 server
> from a RH7.1 machine.  The network share on the Windoze server is mounted via
> a line in /etc/fstab (extract below).
>
> //mine/apps	/mnt/apps	smbfs	rw,username= ...	0  0
>
> The problem is that when the file size on the Windoze server gets to 2GB in
> size, the copy process just hangs.  It doesn't crash, or abort, or terminate
> with an error - just hangs there using up CPU cycles (top says its still
> running at 1-50% CPU).  I haven't encountered any problems copying files less
> than 2GB in size either direction.
> I know there is no issue with Linux & ext2 file system since the files exist
> and are created on the Linux machine.  The Windoze share file system is NTFS,
> so there is no issue with file size there.  I've double checked that by
> creating and modifying a file of about 3GB on the Windows share file system.

Ewan,
if you aren't running at least a 2.4.x kernel then the limit for read() and
write() is 2Gb -- http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/1376.html
So which kernel version are you running?

James C. McPherson
--
Pacrim CPR Engineer            828 Pacific Highway
                               Gordon NSW