[H-GEN] IPCop vs Smoothwall

Hilton Travis Hilton at QuarkAV.com
Wed Sep 11 20:40:00 EDT 2002

Hi Ewan,

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 08:59, Ewan Edwards wrote:
> I've seen IPCop and gone as far as downloading the ISO with the intention of
> trying it out.  I believe IPCop is derived from Smoothwall.  I've been using
> Smoothwall at home for my dial-up internet access for over a year and am
> reasonably impressed with it overall.

IPCop was a fork.  It was from earlier code, and the projects are now
completely separate.

> For those of you who have experience with IPCop, I'm interested if you are
> prepared to share some of your opinions and impressions of IPCop.  If any of
> you have experience with Smoothwall as well, I'd also like to know your
> opinion(s) of how they compare.

SmoothWall GPL 0.9.9SE is based on a 2.2.21 kernel, the new GPL 2.0 Beta
is based on a 2.4.19 kernel.  It is still beta, but is workable -
especially if you read the bug info and make some changes if you need
to.  Beta 2 should be released soon (within a week or so).

I am a SmoothWall Corporate Server reseller.  I'm letting you know this
because this will likely taint my view of the two projects.  I am also
on the SmoothWall 0.9.9 and 2.0 development teams.  This will also
likely taint my views.  Thought it was appropriate to mention this.  :)

--

Regards,

Hilton Travis