[H-GEN] adsl provider and modems

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Sep 11 11:00:34 EDT 2002

Nikolai Lusan wrote:

| On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Joshua Powell wrote:
|
| > I am about to take the step of moving to adsl and wanted to get some advise.
|
| I am looking to do the same, I want a static IP though so I have been
| looking at business plans.

I have business plans in Brisbane and Melbourne with static IP
from Pacific Internet and have been happy with them.  Brisbane
is my home network, while Melbourne is a customer of mine.

| > Secondly, the question of the modem. What would you advise for ease of
| > installation/configuration and reliability? Would the USB one work that you
| > can get from Pacific? What should I steer clear of?
|
| I did a telstra dsl install for a business, it was an Alcatel Speedtouch
| USB modem. I fought with the thing for about a day and a half [...]

I used the supplied Alcatel Speedtouch Home ethernet modem and
everything just worked (using PPPoE on FreeBSD).

Greg