[H-GEN] Problems retrieving mail when using Qmail with vpopmail

Rick Phillips rickp at hcinternet.com.au
Tue Sep 10 02:16:08 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 13:14, Rick Phillips wrote:
> I have recently set up a Mandrake 8.2 box with Qmail and Vpopmail.  I have
> done this because I was told it was easy (hah!!).

It _IS_ easy, as long as you follow the qmail and vpopmail installation
documentation EXACTLY.

> Qmail was installed from RPMS and Vpopmail and Qmailadmin from tar balls.
> am aware of no errors during configure and make..

Hm, qmail from RPMs... I'd personally not do that.  But, if it works for
you, then it should be OK.

> The box in question is running BIND 9.2.1 and this is functioning as it
> should.  Qmail and Qmailadmin seem to be functioning as they should and
> Qmail in fact is accepting email - I can see it in
> /home/vpopmail/domains/user/Maildir/new.

Hm, waitasecond!  /home/vpopmail/domains/user/Maildir ?  Shouldn't it be
/home/vpopmail/domains/domainname/username/Maildir ?

	MY mistake - did it from memory - you are correct - that is the path

> The problem is that neither inside the network nor outside the network (on
> the internet) can I retrieve the mail.  It simply does not recognise the
> password.  There is obviously something missing in the authentication and
> for a day and a half now I have pounded my head against the wall.  I think
> the problem surrounds vchkpw which is part of Vpopmail.  Why did I use
> Vpopmail?  Because I was told that Qmailadmin was a dream to use (and it
is)
> and that it needs it, and that I should always set up my mail as virtual
> mail in case I want to use another domain name (and I do).

Firstly, can you telnet to the pop3 port?

	NO - I can to the SMTP port but not the pop3 port - I get -
	"Software caused a connection abort" (When I use puTTY)
	or "Connection to host lost" when I use telnet in win 2000.

Secondly, can you log in as a user with pop3 (via telnet)?

	Irrelevant - see above

You may be missing the vpopmail bits when you're starting qmail-pop3d,
if you suspect that your passwords are being rejected.  Also, looking at
system logs can be helpful, as vpopmail (by default, last time I
checked) logs password failures to syslog.

	I am now getting messages scrolling on the screen when I log as root
	saying "tcpserver: warning: dropping connection unable to run
/var/qmail/bin/
	qmail-popup: file does not exist"

	I checked /var/qmail/bin/ and qmail-popup is certainly there.

	Before I ran the following after a full reboot - my passwords were being
rejected
	before but now they are not and I still receive no mail.

	After a reboot as root I ran - env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:/usr/bin" \
	tcpserver -H -R 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup sunstatestamps.com.au \
	/home/vpopmail/bin/vchhpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir &

	It seemed happy with that and then after some time (15-20min) I began
getting
	the above message

	I also checked for the file /home/vpopmail/etc/tcp.smtp but it was not
there so
	I created one with a single line inside - 192.168.2.:allow,
RELAYCLIENT=\"\"
	Is this correct to allow my internal network to send internet mail?

	Where can I go now?

	PS I just checked the consol again and it has given the following message -
	"tcpserver: fatal: unable to bind: address already used"

Rick

--
Joel Michael			|  Phone:	+61 7 3367 3555
Systems Administrator		|  Fax:		+61 7 3367 3544
http://www.worldhosting.org/	|  Email:	joel at diggy.com.au