[H-GEN] Re: Database for Linux Desktop Applications

Andrae Muys amuys at contal.net.au
Sun Sep 8 21:42:11 EDT 2002

Lawson, Gavin wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Is there an open source database that would be useful for a desktop
> application?  The equivalent database in Windows would be the Jet Engine,
> such as you get with MDAC_TYP.EXE.

I have no prior knowledge of Jet Engine, and I suspect this isn't uncommon
here, so a summary of the actual features you require (or preferably, the
problems you're trying to solve) would have been more useful.

As it is, there are only really two things I can offer:

1/ If you require some sort of schema/ad-hoc query support you will require
a server.  Otherwise dbm/gdbm or check out sleepycat software.

2/ Under unix (as opposed to various MS-systems) per-system or per-user
servers using various localhost IPC are *not* a problem.  Especially if you
use some sort of activation framework to manage the lifecycle.

Andrae