FW: [H-GEN] SSH PROBLEM

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Oct 28 03:31:23 EST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Rick Phillips wrote:

> > Looks like sshd isn't running to me.
>
> There is a PID for sshd

Cool.  Worth remembering not to trust pid files here but I can see you
confirmed the ps ax | grep ssh is showing a result below.

> > To be sure go to a tell & type: telnet host 22
>
> Telnet is specifically turned off on this machine

telnet to port 22 is an attempt to connect to your ssh port.  Telnet is a
great diagnostic tool.

> > ps ax | grep ssh
> >
> > And see if you get a line mentioning sshd.
>
> Yes it does

> > > PuTTY.  I cannot (until tonight) restart the whole network.
> >
> > Hopefully it won't come to that :)
>
> 'Fraid it will

Why?  Nothing said so far suggests any other box is effected.  Reboot your
whole nextwork if you wish but I wouldn't do this if I were administering
it.  It may produce more problems than it solves.

> > Do a netstat -a | grep LISTEN and see what, if anything, is
> > listening on
> > port 22.
>
> SSHD is set up to run port 26 on this machine - we have a sat gateway

In that case do the telnet mentioned above to port 26, not port 22.  Do
this despite the apparent lack of a listener.

> (linux - Red Hat) which requires port 22.  The sat gateway is the firewal
> but I am running inside the "wall".  Ran the above command and NOTHING is

So there is a port redirection going on?  I thought you were trying to
make an ssh connection to a box on your own lan.

> tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN

Ok, this shows a listener on port 22 but you said something about running
ssh on port 26.

Maybe a ascii diagram of the network may help :)

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119