FW: [H-GEN] SSH PROBLEM

Rick Phillips rickp at sunstatestamps.com.au
Mon Oct 28 02:40:30 EST 2002

> Looks like sshd isn't running to me.

There is a PID for sshd

> To be sure go to a tell & type: telnet host 22

Telnet is specifically turned off on this machine

> (where host is your remote host).
>
> If you get:

SNIP

> Type:
>
> ps ax | grep ssh
>
> And see if you get a line mentioning sshd.

Yes it does

> > This is a straight box to box via LAN connection and I use
> PuTTY as my
> > Windows interface.  I have looked at the sshd_config file
> and can see
> > nothing amiss.  I have restarted  sshd and rebooted the box
> which runs
>
> Ah ok.  Now I'm really interested to hear the results of the
> ps ax | grep ssh
>
> > PuTTY.  I cannot (until tonight) restart the whole network.
>
> Hopefully it won't come to that :)

'Fraid it will

> Do a netstat -a | grep LISTEN and see what, if anything, is
> listening on
> port 22.

SSHD is set up to run port 26 on this machine - we have a sat gateway
(linux - Red Hat) which requires port 22.  The sat gateway is the firewal
but I am running inside the "wall".  Ran the above command and NOTHING is
listening on port 26 although sshd is shown running.  I've gotta rush now
but will be back in the office some time later tonight - I will insert the
output of the above and repost then.

Output of above command

=====
tcp        0      0 *:32768                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:32769                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:60001                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:swat                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:8200                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:netbios-ssn           *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:pop3                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:hylafax               *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:x11                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:10000                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:http                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:qmtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:628                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 server.sunstates:domain *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.locald:domain *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:ssh                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 server.sunstatestam:ipp *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdoma:ipp *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:smtp                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:https                 *:*                     LISTEN
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     5299
/tmp/mcop-rick/server_sunstatestamps_com_au-08de-3dbc8b94
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     5322   /tmp/.ICE-unix/2307
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     3841
/tmp/.font-unix/fs-1
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     2907   /dev/log
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4749
/tmp/ksocket-rick/kdeinit-:0
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4756
/tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop2248-1035766653
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4667   /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     15223
/tmp/ksocket-rick/kdesud_:0
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     4780
/tmp/ksocket-rick/klauncher5BZdjc.slave-socket
=========

> Random thoughts: something bound to port 22 ahead of your
> favourite sshd,

Nope

> there is a problem with a library & sshd isn't starting
> properly, config
> change broke sshd.

Maybe - this seems to be the only explanation although the config file seems
to be OK

> Get back to us with answers to the above questions.  This will help as
> diagnose.

Thanks so far,

Regards,

Rick