[H-GEN] SSH PROBLEM

Rick Phillips rickp at sunstatestamps.com.au
Mon Oct 28 00:08:18 EST 2002

I have a problem which has developed "out of the blue" on a working system.

My mail server sits quietly in a corner running Hylafax, qmail, vpopmail and
ezmlm very happily.  As it was built up out of "leftover" parts, it is
affectionately known as "sh--box" (trivia info)

It has no monitor or keyboard and so when I need to do something I use ssh.

This has worked very well until today when all of a sudden I am being
rejected with the following message -

Network Error: Connection refused

I have checked the logs (after laboriously connecting keyboard and monitor)
and they look fine i.e. nothing out of the usual.

This is a straight box to box via LAN connection and I use PuTTY as my
Windows interface.  I have looked at the sshd_config file and can see
nothing amiss.  I have restarted  sshd and rebooted the box which runs
PuTTY.  I cannot (until tonight) restart the whole network.

Mail is still forthcoming and Hylafax is still chucking squeals successfully
to fax machines.  I can ping the server from the network and ping and dig
away from the server to the rest of the net.

Are there any quick thoughts off the top of the head as to why or what might
this would happen?  I hate feeling "rejected".

Rick Phillips