Video cards ( was Re: [H-GEN] Toshiba notebook.)

Jay johannes at paradise.net.nz
Thu Oct 24 00:32:48 EDT 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:20, Sandra Milne wrote:
> In addition, I want to purchase a TV tuner/capture card. I've never
> installed one successfully under linux, but I know it can be done. What I
> really wanted to know is how difficult it is to capture and manipulate the
> captures under linux. I'd love the extra performance, but I've never heard
> of any decent video manipulation software for linux.

TV tuner/capture cards are quite simple to set up in linux. Some time ago I
bought a simple FlyVideo 98, which requires a bttv-bt848 driver and operates
under kwintv 0.8.11 or 0.8.12 compiled from source.

The graphic card under which it works for me is an ATI 3D Rage IIC oem.
Though, beware of nvidia, geforce2, 3 and tnt (perhaps others too), which may
not support the extensively used video memory overlay mode.

Most recent kernels (I use 2.4.19) do provide already the proper version of
bttv (use as a module), whereas 2.2.x kernels require to be patched with a
suitable bttv driver. I also found it useful to provide the card number (30
in my case) as module start up parameter.

My modules.conf entry for bttv is
"options bttv card=30 pll=1 radio=0 triton1=0"
'radio' is zero because my card has no fm tuner.

Have a look into my_kernel_location/drivers/media/video/bttv-cards.c, which
should contain a long list of currently supported tv cards.

Cheers

Johannes
mailto:johannes at paradise.net.nz

http://www.disclosureproject.org