Video cards ( was Re: [H-GEN] Toshiba notebook.)

Sandra Milne silne at optusnet.com.au
Wed Oct 23 23:20:40 EDT 2002

At 11:43 24/10/2002 +1000, you wrote:
>I personally refuse to ever touch an nVidia product ever again, having
>experienced the joys of their binary only drivers.  ATI on the other
>hand I have had no problems with at all.

This is something I've been meaning to ask about. I want to purchase a
Radeon 9700. (I am really sick of NVidia products, but that's a whole
different post on a whole different list). I was curious if anyone has one
yet, and what the linux support is. I heard there are issues under windohs
xp, but I'd never run that patch on my system so i'm safe there. I will be
waiting for either a payrise (not happening) or a price drop on the ATI
products. (say, $300ish for the card) which is likely to be a while.

In addition, I want to purchase a TV tuner/capture card. I've never
installed one successfully under linux, but I know it can be done. What I
really wanted to know is how difficult it is to capture and manipulate the
captures under linux. I'd love the extra performance, but I've never heard
of any decent video manipulation software for linux.

Sandra.

silne at optusnet.com.au
http://members.optushome.com.au/silne
"Death is certain, life is optional"