[H-GEN] Challange for you

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Oct 23 01:14:14 EDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, David Jericho wrote:

> > posted 'Hi, I'd like XYZ feature and would be willing to pay for it to be
> > done?'?
>
> I've seen it on a few lists in the past, and seen it met with various
> reactions. Everything ranging from "I earn too much, and I don't
> really care about XYZ feature, so no", to "An extra few bucks would be
> handy, mail me privately".

I agree.  I think there are always a few student developers who would be
open to the idea.  I don't think anyone would ever get a rude reaction to
offering to pay for a feature that would be put back under the GPL.  This
is indeed the basis for the Reiserfs.  Namesys put a certain amount of
effort into developing Reiserfs.  They support it on the lists but if the
problem is specific and in-depth you can go for their commercial support.
Moreover, if you pay them US$X,XXX they will implement your desired
feature and put it out under the GPL for all to use.

> I guess the only thing you can do, is ask in a polite enquiring
> manner, and await the answer.

Yep, sounds safe to me.

Cheers,
	-Rob