[H-GEN] Memory useage

Harry Phillips hphillips at 4ward.com.au
Thu Oct 17 23:03:59 EDT 2002

Since setting up my IMAP server I have been looking into a replacement
for Outlook Express. The reason is because I came across a site that
indicated it wasn't much good at IMAP (big surprise there).

I just checked my sever using top and it indicated the memory usage as
Mem:   255760K av,  252012K used,    3748K free

Is it normal to have less than 4M free out of 256M?

The tasks the box is doing:
1. Samba server for my Win workstations.
2. Firewall/gateway for local lan. (iptables)
3. Fetchmail/procmail/postfix/courier-imap

I might restart the server and check it's memory usage straight away.

---