[H-GEN] swap partitions

Christopher Biggs listjunkie at pobox.com
Tue Oct 15 20:19:12 EDT 2002

"alexr" <alexr at acenet.net.au> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

> I was wondering how hard it would be to create a bootable CD set up to
> network with my laptop would be.  I am fed up with trying to get my
> laptop (with Win XP installed ATM) to network with other machines.
> Networking with other XP machines is difficult and as for 95/98, forget
> it!  I don't have Linux installed on my laptop just yet, but that's
> another post...

When I had knee surgery some time ago, I borrowed a high spec laptop
from the office.  (my own laptop is ancient).

They refused to let me install Linux on it, so I used the lnx-bbc
bootable CD (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/) for some weeks.  It prods
serious buttock.

It's dead easy to boot this CD on most new PCs and have a working
"pirate linux box" in moments.

> The problems I see are it would have to be set up to run without a swap
> partition

Not a problem with modern ram sizes.  Create a temporary swapfile if
you really need it.

> and it would need a wide variety of NIC drivers to be of any
> use.

Kernel modules are your friend.

> I am thinking about coming to the next meeting to get some help with
> this.  is this the sort of thing you guys would be willing to help with?

Get the lnx-bbc image.  Burn.  Enjoy.

--cjb