[H-GEN] CVS is very very slow ...

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Fri Oct 11 01:37:36 EDT 2002

Ben Fowler wrote:

| The URL is http://subversion.tigris.org/
|
| We're going to take a look at it at work too, since CVS is giving us the
| shits sometimes [1].  It appears to be a major pain to get up and
| running at this point, so don't expect installation to be a cakewalk.
| Add-on tools (like a viewcvs workalike) also appears to be completely
| missing at the moment.
|
| This of course dosen't mean it isn't worth checking out, but my
| impression of Subversion is such that I wouldn't touch it for real work
| until it and it's associated tools mature a little more.

That would fit with my understanding of subversion.

| [1] (FWIW, CVS's performance isn't our major problem; it's issues like
| it's non-support for versioning directories, it's flaky merge support,
| the lack of atomicity, the crude security model, yadayada).

All the above suckage is why I was a very late adopter of CVS.
I first checked it out about 10 years ago, as it was supposed to
do various things that I wanted.  But reading the documentation
made me forget that idea.  I finally adopted it about eighteen
months back because i thought I'd worked out solutions for the
problems that mattered to me.  What I hadn't taken into account
was the slowness and that's why I'll almost certainly walk away
from it after having invested days of work moving everything
across to it.

Greg