[H-GEN] CVS is very very slow ...

Ben Fowler fowlerb at optushome.com.au
Fri Oct 11 01:09:28 EDT 2002

David Seikel wrote:

>  --- Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> wrote:
>
>>I have one additional data point.  I only use CVS over SSH and I
>>am always astonished at just how slow it is -- in my case, this
>>is certainly not caused by DNS lookups or anything like that.
>>In fact, the performance is so sucky that I plan to migrate all
>>my software repository back to RCS with some scripting and make
>>rules to replace the functionality of CVS.
>

> If you are migrating anyway, why not go forward instaed of backward?  I'm
> currently looking at subversion, which is being designed as a replacement
> for CVS, one which doesn't suck quite so much.  Subversion uses an Apache
> server with WEBDAV to access the repository over the net.  It versions
> whole projects at once, rather than one file at once.  It sends only the
> diffs across the network, and can deal with binary diffs.
>
> Sorry, can't remember the URL at the moment, and I'm not at my own
> computer.  I'll post it tomorrow if I remember.

The URL is http://subversion.tigris.org/

We're going to take a look at it at work too, since CVS is giving us the
shits sometimes [1].  It appears to be a major pain to get up and
running at this point, so don't expect installation to be a cakewalk.
Add-on tools (like a viewcvs workalike) also appears to be completely
missing at the moment.

This of course dosen't mean it isn't worth checking out, but my
impression of Subversion is such that I wouldn't touch it for real work
until it and it's associated tools mature a little more.

-regards,

Ben.

[1] (FWIW, CVS's performance isn't our major problem; it's issues like
it's non-support for versioning directories, it's flaky merge support,
the lack of atomicity, the crude security model, yadayada).

--
  Ben Fowler, email: <ben.fowler at humbug.org.au> pgp/gpg key id: FFDE6AF7
    vanity web page: <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~zuul/>