[H-GEN] Interpretation of RFC822

Everist, Geoff everistg at switch.aust.com
Mon Oct 7 20:24:53 EDT 2002

On 07/10/2002 16:00:20 Edwin Groothuis wrote:

[snip]
>> OK...by way of "starting a useful discussion" instead of just sending
test
>> messages to the list, I pose this little conundrum (it may not be
useful
>> to others, but the answers will certainly be useful to me):
>
>Note that I don't have any authority in this.
>
>RFC2822: 3.4. Address Specification

[snip]

>angle-addr      =       [CFWS] "<" addr-spec ">" [CFWS] / obs-angle-addr

[snip]

>This would lead me to believe there should be a [CFWS] (comment or
>folding white space) before the <.

[CFWS] suggests to me that the white space is optional, but I am no EBNF
expert. The syntax seems to be a big improvement over RFC822 though.

>But then, be tolerant in what you receive and strict in what you send.

Right on, brother.

http://www.MavEtJu.org
http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php
>bash$ :(){ :|:&};:   | Interested in MUDs?
http://www.FatalDimensions.org/

Apologies to all for using an old standard. I need to find another RFC
source; usually it is written on top of the RFC that it has been
superseded and by what.

Cheers
Geoff Everist