[H-GEN] Installing multiple Linuxes

bob parker bob_parker at dodo.com.au
Sun Oct 6 10:55:42 EDT 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:39, you wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-10-06 at 15:21, Harry Phillips wrote:
> > My suggestion is to use the same UID and GID for your users for
> > all distros. That way all users will have the correct permissions on your
> > /home partition.
>
> Good point
>
> > As for the common /boot, well I would imagine that each distro would
> > stomp all over the others and you may get unpredictable results. Just
> > leave the /boot
> > dir on the / partition.
>
>  /boot on each /, wouldnt you need to also mount each other
> distributions / and have the local lilo.conf set accordingly and do this
> in each root for when your booted into it.
>
> Simple solution, use /usr/sbin/mkboot and make a boot floppy for each
> distro. Slow to boot but fault tolerant [1]. I can just see someone
> playing round with kernels and lilo and ending up only being able to
> boot one distro and then asking dad for help.

Actually le kid know his way around grub from the time he had Mdk running on
another box.

The order of install will be Mdk, check out the installed size size and then
destroy it. Repeat that with other 2.

Then do the real installs allowing an extra 1 gig or so per distro in order,
Debian, Suse, the Mdk. Set up grub for the 3 distros on the Mdk install.

If it was my choice I'd go for lilo but not my box so...

Regards
Bob Parker