[H-GEN] Mozilla, style sheets, and Microsoft's knowledge base

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Thu Nov 14 21:41:50 EST 2002

David Seikel <won_fang at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> My experience with Windows is that a reinstall once a month is mandatory.

Oh you have simply *got* to be joking.

I can get better mileage than that out of NT, and I've certainly seen
95 and 98 boxes do much better than that (I have less experience with
XP, but as far as I know it's even more stable than the rest).

Windows has a perfectly well-deserved reputation, it's true, but
that's just silly.

I also have my user to consider---they simply are *not* going to put
up with a system reinstall once a month, or even anything close[1].

> Since I'm only doing this for browser testing, I don't need a huge
> installation, so soaking the network for an hour or three once a month is
> fine by me.

I agree with David---use vmware instead.  You'll like it.

jason

[1] : Not to mention that I fricking well *can't* reinstall the POS
      since the manufacturer doesn't seem to have supplied an
      installation CD.  I'm thinking of giving them a call to see
      what's up (this machine is a number of years old now, and _may_
      have come with a CD, but I'm not sure).

      Is it normal for PCs that come with Windows installed on them to
      not have an installation CD-ROM?
--
| ``I think I'm going to throw up.''                                    |