[H-GEN] Replacement?

Jason Parker-Burlingham jasonp at uq.net.au
Tue Nov 5 22:51:54 EST 2002

Greg Black <gjb at gbch.net> writes:

> If, like me, you needed a good MTA some years ago you really needed to
> go to qmail (as I did).

Ah.  From time to time I have wondered what your motivation was.

To be perfectly honest, the moment I decided to not have anything to
do with Sendmail again was when I had borrowed a copy of the Bat
Book.

Just a few pages in, Allman explains his reasoning behind the format
of sendmail.cf, to wit, that reading files from disk is slow and the
shorter it (the config file) is, the better.  At the time, and even
still, this strikes me as needless micro-optimisation, and I have
tried my best to avoid sendmail ever since.

On the other hand, more than one subscriber has done the rounds with
qmail and found it wanting in one arena or another.

On the gripping hand, I have never had to run a critical mail host by
myself, so I have always been happy with exim, which was selected as a
default for me some years back.

I realize and acknowledge my choices against qmail and sendmail, and
for exim aren't rational, which is why I'll happily work with
sendmail[1] if there's something in it for me.

> The truth is that we all very lucky that there are three MTAs
> available

Hell, yes.

[1] : I've never been asked to do work with qmail.
--
| ``It's just a big electric typewriter.''                              |