[H-GEN] starting servers

Nikolai Lusan nikolai at humbug.org.au
Thu May 30 21:56:10 EDT 2002

On Fri, 31 May 2002, Shaun Nykvist wrote:

> however, I am needing to automatically start an enCore server on the
> machine at boot.  Currently, I manually start the server from a directory
> called /usr/local/moo with the command ./restart enCore.  In the past I
> have used a redhat server and placed the relevant commands within
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Any help in this matter would be appreciated as we are
> currently having a few power problems which brings the server down for a
> period of time.

To automatically start a service or do something at boot time simply
write a script that takes - at a miniumum -  "start" or "stop" as an
argument then the when start is passed starts the server and stops it
when the argument is stop.

something like

case "$1" in
	start)
		echo "Starting My server: "
		run_my_server
		echo "Done."
	;;
	stop)
		echo "Stopping My Server: "
		stp_my_server
		echo "Done."
	;;
esac

exit 0

should do the trick. put the script in /etc/init.d and symlink it into
the runlevels you want it started in (/etc/rc2.d is the standard
runlevel for a default debian install) with SXX in front of the name to
start it and it is probably a good idea to symlink it in to rc0.d, rc1.d
and rc6.d with KXX infront of the name where XX is two numbers (start
order).

I hope that is clear enough :)

Nikolai