[H-GEN] DNS lookups

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Fri May 17 10:18:59 EDT 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Kris Amy wrote:

> I thought that a resolv.conf should have ip's not hostname's as
> nameserver's.

You could use fqdn's and reference them in the hosts file :)

> what i believe you want /etc/resolv.conf to look like is as below
>
> ============= resolv.conf =============
> search telstra.com.au
> nameserver 139.130.4.5
> nameserver 203.50.0.24

These are the same box:

avon:~>host 203.50.0.24
24.0.50.203.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ns1.telstra.net.
avon:~>host 139.130.4.5
5.4.130.139.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ns1.telstra.net.

Also, ns1.telstra.net is now configured not to answer queries except for
those domains it is authorative for.

For Telstra put the following in /etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 139.130.4.4
nameserver 203.50.2.71

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 5 days,  8:47,  2 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.03, 1.00