[H-GEN] DNS lookups

Thu May 16 21:21:44 EDT 2002

Conor,

> Im currently contracting for telstra and some of my fellow geeks and I
> have been setting up our own Linux Redhat 7.3 box. The box is connected
> to a massive network consisting mainly of WINNT boxes and servers.
>
> The problem we seem to be having is that all the boxes on the network
> can ping the Linux machine via it's hostname, however, the linux box
> cannot ping anyone by their hostname but can ping using IP's.

Assuming your /etc/resolv.conf is correct and you have network
connectivity to the nameservers listed, its possible that they
simply don't have the data.

To test this hypothesis, use "dig" or "host", for example, to ask
the nameserver at 192.0.2.53 about "www.example.com":

    dig @192.0.2.53 www.example.com
    host www.example.com 192.0.2.53

It is possible that the Windows host don't actually have DNS
entries.  If this is the case, seek the counsel of the local
Systems Administrators..

Yours sincerely,

-- Mark John Suter  | I know that you  believe  you understand
suter at humbug.org.au | what you think I said, but I am not sure
gpg key id F2FEBB36 | you realise that what you  heard  is not
mobile 0411 262 316 | what I meant.        Robert J. McCloskey