IP tunnels and netbios (was: Re: [H-GEN] TPG ADSL)

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 15 22:01:12 EDT 2002

> (I believe that it is possible to use dynamic dns servers, where the
> SOA for your domain name is hosted and configured dynamically with a
> short live-timeout value.  You simply set up scripts that automate
> updates to it each time you reconnect.  But once again, messy, and
> probably not a cheap hosting service to use).

Keeping in mind that Telstra may have fixed things since the last time
I looked (last december), the biggest problem with that is that
Telstra's own name servers take a long time to update (24 to 48 hours),
no matter what the ddns SOA says.  Other Telstra broadband customers
won't ever be able to find you.

I doubt if Telstra have fixed this, it has been a well known problem
for many years.

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!