[H-GEN] New programming languages to learn

Jay johannes at workmail.com
Wed May 15 06:32:57 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 07:04 pm, you wrote:

> For something different, I'm looking for a higher level language, for
> Unix, that allows me to do a great range of tasks quickly, and not be
> broken simply because I forgot to bounds check an input.

Kylix comes to mind, which is the unix version of Delphi for windows. Both
development packages do have an almost identical integrated cross-platform
development environment including very extensive debugging.

There is even a basic version of Kylix available for free download. I
personally use Kylix professional. I have to say that it is pretty good stuff
for unix based systems. I run it under OpenLinux 3.1.1 and kde.

Kylix uses the pascal language and does all the kind of checking you
requested including boundary checks. It also is said to have one of the
worlds fastest compilers if not the fastest.

Have a look at http://www.borland.com/kylix which could you get going if you
are interested.

Cheers

Johannes