Solved: [H-GEN] kernel panic interpretation

Andrew Pollock bahhumbug at andrew.net.au
Fri May 10 06:27:28 EDT 2002

On 10.05.2002 at 09:46:37, Andrew Pollock <bahhumbug at andrew.net.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If, when booting, I get:
>
> cramfs: wrong magic
>
> followed by:
>
> Kernel painic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
>
> Is this referring to the root filesystem on the initial RAM disk, or the
final
> root filesystem?
>
> This is a system with SCSI hard drives. Just prior to the above messages I
see
> the SCSI driver load, and detect two hard drives, and it successfully
identifies
> the partitions on sda.
>
> I'm getting this booting a Debian system with kernel 2.4.18, after attempting
an
> automated install using FAI. I'm still learning how to drive FAI, and it
> installs a 2.2 kernel by default fine, I'm just trying to convince it to
install
> a 2.4 kernel instead, and I suspect the initrd stuff is biting me.
>
> Any assistance appreciated.
>
> Andrew

I've found the problem. When Debian installs a new kernel package, it generates

the initial RAM disk on the spot, and (I think) decides what modules the initial

RAM disk needs to load based on the modules currently loaded.

Because the FAI install system uses a 2.2 kernel, with ext2 built in, the kernel

post-install script doesn't decide that the ext2 module needs to be loaded by
the initial RAM disk when it goes to create it. Net result is, after rebooting,

after the initial RAM disk has done it's work and loaded it's modules, the
kernel can't read the root filesystem :-(

I'm not sure if this is a bug with the kernel package's post-install script, or

the way FAI install environment works, as I don't have an intimate knowledge of

either at the moment.

I'm doing some extra tweaking of FAI to get around this problem.

Andrew