[H-GEN] P4 vs Athlon

David Seikel won_fang at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 8 00:43:39 EDT 2002

 --- Sarah Hollings <sarahhollings at optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > I'd love to replace my heatsink and fan combination with a
> noiseless
> > solution, as my machine currently lives in my bedroom.
>
> peltier element?

They just pump heat from one side to another when you apply current,
you still have to remove the heat from the hot side with a fan, or
something else.  IMacs and that mac cube thing didn't have fans, but I
am unsure how they managed that.  Some laptops use heat pipes to
transfer heat from the hot places to elsewhere, but you may still need
fans or heatsinks at the end receiving the heat.  Chimneys work well if
you can design them into the computer, I think that is how the Mac cube
thing worked.  Then there is oil and liquid nitrogen cooling, still
requiring moving parts, but supposedly quieter.

I'm a very light sleeper, and I had the same problem with running my
24/7 server not far from my bed, I solved it by putting sound proofing
inside the servers box.  That really made things quiet, and reduced HD
noise as well.  My servers box was just an ordinary mid tower, the
sound proofing was foam stuff I got from Jaycar in Melbourne.

http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
- A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!