[H-GEN] problems with accessing mail at bigpond

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat May 4 06:10:00 EDT 2002

On Sat, 4 May 2002, Greg Black wrote:

> Of these, the first two are correctly configured not to answer
> queries from just anywhere and so won't help you unless you are
> on the network(s) they answer for.  The latter two will answer
> random queries from anywhere about anything at this time (which
> is quite silly) and so they do in fact give correct answers for

Personally I don't have a problem with open dns servers (ie server which
will answer queries from any remote host). I see it as one last thing we
haven't had to tighten up on the net because someone found a way of
abusing the trust of others (all mail relays used to be open not so long
ago...).  I block AXFR from anywhere except slaves of course.

I certainly find having remote dns servers ready to answer queries useful
for diagnostics (there is always samspade I suppose).  I can only think of
a handful of dns servers that are not open (UQ being a notably example).

I'd be interested in any security issues relating directly to having
a dns server which will answer queries from any host.

Cheers,
	-Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 114 days, 11:23,  4 users,  load average: 1.32, 1.10, 1.03