[H-GEN] redhat 6.x

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Sun Mar 31 20:50:14 EST 2002

Sorry if I am teaching Grandma to suck eggs in any of this.

As previously stated by others I would not use 6.X with 2.4 kernel...too
many
dependency problems I suspect. But I dont think there is any need to buy a
new monitor unless you want to.

Just use the 640 x480 option.

When setting up Mandrake do not choose the option that allows you to boot
directly into X Windows (say no to that) and avoid XDM.

Alternatively, after installation boot off a floppy and change your initial
run level to 3 not 5 then edit the server stanza in X86Config.

Have you tried Ctrl-Alt-Plus and Ctrl-Alt-Minus (use the + and - signs not
the written words and hold all three down together) a lot of ppl do not
know that this allows you to toggle through the various screen
resolutions. The server stanza will have a number of different resoutions
and the order they are in will determine which one is used. Just because
you answered 800 x 600 does not mean that 800 x 600 is the only resolution
installed.

My server stanza (I set up 1024 x 768) says 1024 x 768    800 x 600    640 x
480
so 1024 is first preference but I can get to 800 or 640 by using
Ctrl-Alt-+ or Ctrl-Alt- -. At 1024, using it once gets me 640 and using it
again gets me 800 and using it again gets me 1024 again. If you just want
640 take out any other setting and resave. Then when you start X using the
startx command you should start up in 640 x 480. Alternatively, if you
want
to keep the 800 x 600 setting for future reference then leave it in there
but reverse the order

640 x 480    800 x 600

That way the first resolution picked up will be the one used

You ought to be able to edit you X86Config file to
give you appropriate resolutions but you will need to also change the
desktop size too as if you just leave the desktop at 800x600 and change
resolution to 640x480 you will have a desktop bigger than your screen and
need to scroll...it will scroll automagically by just moving the mouse
past the edge of the screen.

>From memory the highest resolution you have in the stanza is the default
desktop size so if you leave 800 x 600 in there you will have an 800 x 600
desktop. Its a while since I have edited X86Config by hand or even using
XConfigurator or such so things may be a bit different nowdays. The file
is reasonably well documented so have a go. You can always save X86Config as
X86Config.old and if you stuff up you can always restore to the original.

Frank Brand
fbrand at uq.net.au