[H-GEN] Suppliers for Rackmountable equipment?

Raymond Smith zzrasmit at uqconnect.net
Wed Mar 27 07:34:14 EST 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Raymond Smith wrote:
> I am looking at purchasing two 1RU rack units. So far I have looked at the
> Dell 350 for $2568.00 (Celeron 850, 128Mb RAM, 20Gb HDD, 10/100 Intel
> NIC). Any other suggestions for good suppliers of Linux hardware that
> would be in the ballpark of this figure?

In the end we decided to go with IBM xSeries 300 boxen. The URL for these
is at http://www-8.ibm.com/businesscenter/au/offer2/eserver/867252x.html

The Dell went close, but IBM was slightly cheaper and (as a secondary
consideration) is putting more support into the community than Dell. To
those who suggested 'build it yourself' this would probably have been
cheaper but we prefered the warm fuzzy feeling imparted from a brand
name on this sort of hardware.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Cheers,

Raymond
---
raymond at humbug.org.au     "Try, or try not. There is no do." -- said during
                          a linux.conf.au 2002 organising committee meeting