[H-GEN] Lost email (RH7.1)

David Duffy avd at audiovisualdevices.com.au
Mon Mar 25 17:07:58 EST 2002

>On Mon, 2002-03-25 at 16:39, David Duffy wrote:
> > [ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and  ]
> > [ Unix-related topics.  Please observe the list's charter.           ]
> > [ Worthwhile understanding: http://www.humbug.org.au/netiquette.html ]
> >
> > I seem to be having a problem with some email failing
> > to arrive here from various sources. I can't tell how many
> > go missing but I know of at least two in the last week.
> > I'm running RH7.1 with all the latest patches and use a
> > 33K/56K POTS through Telstra Direct. Should I start
> > looking on the Linux box or could it be a Telstra fault?

Robert replied:
>That depends on whats happening with the email. Are you using fetchmail
>to retrieve it. Is it a telstra mailbox? Is mail being forwarded direct
>to your MTA on the linux box ? What email client are you using?

I'm using Sendmail on the Linux box for the mail server. The Telstra Direct
connection is a permanent dial-up line. I have rejected senders set for a few
persistent spammers. The Linux box serves 3 Win98SE machines which
all run Eudora 4.3 on them. The two messages that I had to get the sender
to re-send were both addressed to the david at audiovisualdevices.com.au
and I seem to remember at least two of the other missing ones were too.
The only thing I can think of is if Windows crashed (happens every few days)
while Eudora was getting the mail from the Linux box. I would have thought
that it still would have been on the server though and would have been gotten
the next time.
Regards...

David Duffy        Audio Visual Devices P/L
U8, 9-11 Trade St, Cleveland 4163 Australia
Ph: +61 7 38210362   Fax: +61 7 38210281
New Web: www.audiovisualdevices.com.au