[H-GEN] Postgresql

Frank Brand fbrand at uq.net.au
Tue Mar 12 00:15:05 EST 2002

>From memory psql is not part of the default installation. Check the rpm's
because I expect the postgres rpm's will be on the CD and its probably
easier to use the rpm's. If you install them all you will get psql and other
packages too like pgaccess (I like pgaccess but the purists may not). There
is some excellent psql documentation in the included docs or alternatively
at the psql website. Its really very much like mysql to run in many
respects. If you do a full installation including psql you will find
postmaster is probably already set up on your system...a lot of the setup
instructions in the docs refer to getting the source and compiling it and
may not be needed with a rpm install.

Frank Brand

...for the postgresql experts

I am new to postgresql and I need to do some work on a postgresql db, but
before doing this I thought I would run up postgresql on my home machine
before wrecking havoc.  I am very familiar with using db's and use mysql
most days, however can someone shed some light on the postgresql setup
instructions.  I am running a redhat 7.2 system with the standard install
of postgresql.  It seems to be loaded no problems - but where to from
here.....any help would be appreciated.