Mozilla (Re: [H-GEN] What can i use instead of SSHD?)

Christian "Vic" Bullow vicomte at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 27 19:38:28 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Kearey" <mammal at optushome.com.au>
To: <general at lists.humbug.org.au>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 9:04 AM

>Bollocks, says I. Try the test suites for yourself. They're all
>available from the mozilla.org site.

I believe I was the one that informed Sandra of this, and in my frustration
blurted out my unhappiness with the release, considering CSS 2 is a standard
from 1999, IE6, Mozilla or Opera all seem to not fully support it.

The test suites you are refering to you are far from complete. A better
statement would be mozilla does not fully support CSS2 and as such
insufficient for my uses in that I prefer some of the CSS Layer 2 benefits in
some of the website design and implementation work I do.

I looked over the style sheets myself just then. They are included in the
latest 1.1 build of Win32 version of Mozilla. Try any form of CSS2 use of
text-shadow, first-letter element, or some of ther more interesting 'visual
effects'
http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/visufx.html,
and you will see mozilla go somewhat belly up in many cases.

I also suspect mozilla may have the disquiting habbit of attempting to fix
code it feels is eroneous on the fly, and as such probably display it
differently to how the site was intended.

Leaving to the side the fact the code is correct, and passes the w3c css
verifyer with flying colours.

I appolagise for any confusion my statements recently may have brought about,
but I stand by my feeling of mozilla being inadequite to display my websites
as designed, and am still feeling dejected by too many browsers, all wanting
to do things differently, especially where Javascript and CSS comes into play.

Regards

Vic