[H-GEN] Character replacement with samba

David Jericho david.jericho at bytecomm.com.au
Mon Jun 24 21:29:27 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-06-25 at 09:11, Matthew Taylor wrote:
> I haven't used faubackup but a momentary dose of inspiration.....

I've been playing with faubackup for the last few days, and I must say
I'm happy. Means I don't have to implement in code what I was pretty
much planning to do anyway.

One note of warning though, its current code can't handle files larger
than 2GB. A patch I've made should find its way to Martin (the author)
in the next few days.

> the configuration files might provide a format for the directory name
> generation, it might be possible to nominate a different characters as
> separators in the directory name.

Unfortunately not. But it is easy enough to modify faubackup.pl

> far more involved would be finding the appropriate source code &
> editing... [order of magnitude more difficult?]
>
> it might be easier to write a script to generate a symlink to the
> directory (using windows friendly characters) and sharing the windows
> friendly directory under samba.
>

> HTH
>
> Mat.
>
> Patrick Nichols wrote:
>
> >[ Humbug *General* list - semi-serious discussions about Humbug and     ]
> >[ Unix-related topics. Posts from non-subscribed addresses will vanish. ]
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've got a problem that I can't seem to find an answer for:
> >
> >faubackup is a quasibackup system which keeps versions of files
> >available on your hard drive hardlinked to each other.  It is an
> >excellent program and works wonderfully.
> >
> >I want to use it to keep online backups of our files in a read-only
> >samba share so that if a user deletes a file they can just get it from
> >the "backups" share.
> >
> >The only problem is that faubackup stores the files in a directory
> >with the format "2002-06-11 at 01:05:21" which windows doesn't like
> >reading.
> >
> >Is it possible to get samba to remap the ":" characters to "." so that
> >windows users can read the date/time of the backup with no problems?
> >
> >--
> >Regards,
> >Patrick.
> >
> >--
> >* This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> >* Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> >* lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

> --
> * This is list (humbug) general handled by majordomo at lists.humbug.org.au .
> * Postings to this list are only accepted from subscribed addresses of
> * lists 'general' or 'general-post'.  See http://www.humbug.org.au/

--
David Jericho
Senior Systems Administrator, Bytecomm Pty Ltd