[H-GEN] ext2 or ext3

Clinton Roy croy at dstc.edu.au
Wed Jun 19 18:56:09 EDT 2002

Jason Henry Parker <jasonp at uq.net.au> writes:

> I don't think journalling is necessarily useful in all situations, and
> in any event most journalled FSes only journal metadata, so I'm unsure
> of the utility.  Suggestions, anyone?
I can remember from lca (you *do* remember lca, right Jason? ;) that
ext3 supports user data journalling out of the box, a quick google
session showed that there's a patch out there for making reiserfs
journal user data. I couldn't (quickly and easily) find any such patch
for XFS, but I highly suspect it's possible given it's maturity.

Obviously, journalling user data would have increased overheads over
meta-data only journalling, but I agree with Jason, one is pretty
pointless without the other.

Does anyone have some real usage stories of journalling filesystems
(i.e. logging changes to user data) ?
--
Clinton Roy

Meetings - ``Try, or no try; there is no do.''