[H-GEN] Telstra ADSL

Sarah Walters sarah at uow.edu.au
Tue Jun 18 18:47:14 EDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:02:30PM +1000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> I've setup a Linux (RH 7.3) box to connect to Bigpond ADSL using the
> rp-pppoe package (it even came with directions for Bigpond :)
We're set up with the four-port modem operating in bridging mode to the linux
box and haven't had any problems.

> The box is now (apparently) uncontactable [1].  To make matters worse it
> keeps changing IP on each ADSL restart & I'm getting the people onsite to
> browse from a windows box behind the Linux server to a web page I control
> so I can spot the new IP (these people know _nothing_ about unix).  Due to
> the other problems I have not yet implemented a script to mailout the IP
> to myself & the owner (the link lockups are hampering development
> somewhat).

My suggestion to you is get a Dynamic DNS rather than sending the email. You
will need a real domain name to send email to some servers anyway, as sendmail
can be configured to bounce mail that isn't from a real domain name.

We are using dyndns.org. They're free for limited personal use. I'm sure
you could find an Australian company that does dynamic DNS. As part of our
script that connects to adsl we run another script that logs in to the dyndns
server and submits our new IP. So all we have to do to find our box is
ssh walters.dyndns.org.

Sorry I can't help with your core problem, but once you have it sorted out
think about dynamic DNS rather than email.

Mrs Sarah Walters					sarah at uow.edu.au
Information Technology Services				Bld 17 Level 2
The University of Wollongong				Ph: +61 2 4221 3775