[H-GEN] New Debian User

Shane Ravenn sravenn at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jun 17 07:09:46 EDT 2002

Hi all.

I've just managed to get Debian installed on my system, and I'm looking for
advice, hints and tips from other Debian users. I have read through most of
the documentation, and it looks powerful, but I won't use half of the main
features. What do others actually use?

I have a good grasp of apt, deselect, and some dpkg. It took me a day and a
half to get X running, and three more days to manage a connection via ppp.
I downloaded gcc, but I can't get it to create executables. Any advice on
that one? How do you get a compiled program to show up as a dependancy?

I think I made good use of the three plus years I was on Mandrake, but now
I am glad I switched. If Debian ever made their install as slick as the
Mandrake one, I'd have gone with it much sooner.

Looking forward to playing with new ideas.
Shane Ravenn
--
Of all the things you can accomplish by screwing up your face and swearing
into a darkened room, sleep is not one of them.